Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Thursday, 8 September 2011

Day-Glo

I love black and white photography. It's cool, serious, artistic and respectable. Some of the greatest and most important photo images of the 20th century were black and white.

In black and white; architecture look amazing, portraiture becomes art, street photography gains gritty realism, abstract gains purity, reportage commands authority.

But sometimes I just love colour! Day-Glo and Neon can only be in full and ridiculous colour. Here are my favourite London splashes of sectrum-tastic artwork.




 

These were all taken with my Nikon D80, and I have to admit, in full auto mode. It is interesting that I took many shots in various modes of all these items.  I wasn't sure how to photograph these kinds of subjects.  It just so happened that all the full auto shots came out easily the best images.  These were taken around four years ago, and I am of course now not using full auto (unless I am badly lazy).  

The next shot is a little thought for the people of Japan who suffered badly from the recent earthquake.  We have large earthquakes around the world every few years, and it is often too easy to detatch oneself from the reality of these natural catastrophies.  The shocking television images of that huge tsunami wave moving through those buildings, fields and roads, was just unbelievable.  Japan is probably one of the most advanced and modern countries in the world; and yet for them to be so crippled by such an event just goes to show that no society can be truly prepared against such an event.

This television tower sits on the top of the hills above the city of Sendai, the largest Japanese city most affected by the earthquake and tsunami. This tower helped to transmit those terrible images around the world. It is also a beautifully multi-coloured landmark, which can be seen for miles around.  My wife was born near Sendai, and her family there are only just getting back on their feet.  Last time I was in Sendai, I was transfixed by this lovely transmitter, whose spectrum of colour changed beautifully.

I hope Sendai and the people of Japan can find their true colours again soon.











5 comments:

sliceoflondonlife.com said...

Wonderful colours. I especially love the tree - why didn't they plant a real one there?!

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks... I think some architects have a strange aversion to trees. LOL.

Gerry's Blog said...

Bill wonderful images, I love the second image the bikes give you a great perspective of the angle and distance.... the spot light on the bikes gives it that great look as well. Awesome ...

Michael Gatton said...

Now that's color! Dazzling. The TV Tower is amazing, do they light it all the time or only on special occasions?

Bill Wellham said...

Cheers guys.

Mike... The TV tower is always lit up in a spectrum of colours. They change each season, I have been told.

Gerry... See those bikes? See how they are gone in second shot (together with bike stands)? Photoshopped away! At first I didn't like them. But then I did, for the same reasons as you pointed out. So I have two versions. If you zoom in close, you can see the clone stamp clues.