Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Saturday, 24 September 2011

Doors and Windows

I was looking through my archives of images taken using my Nikon D80, and trying to come up with an idea of what to discuss in this latest post. My last week has been incredibly chaotic and I have not had a chance to update until now. Im writing this as I watch the amazing The Story of Film: An Odyssey. I recommend this to anyone with even the slightest interest in the history of cinema.  It is not always a good idea to combine writing and photography processing with other distractions, but here I go anyway.


I have to admit that I have no method or process in picking images or discussion subjects for my blog. I have so far kept loosely to my history of camera ownership, whilst displaying my evolving style in photography. When I scan through my old images, ideas always jump out at me, and sometimes they certainly do not.  This week's subject came to me through inspiration from a fellow blogger's blog.  Cheryl's  Look This Way photography blog presented the theme of 'Doors', which inspired me to throw up all my door images. I find doors very interesting, although I am not entirely sure why. Windows also fall into the same area of interest. As Cheryl pointed out in her blog, there is a certain mystery behind a door; a story that may be told.  I have a general interest in architecture anyway, and doors and windows are one of the key components of any building.

It's obvious really that a building is of very little use without a door! Also, windows make use of the natural light, to illuminate the interior; and also allow the occupents a view to the outside world.  This has been the case for centuries, which is a good excuse for me to start with some medieval doors and windows.  Luckily, I live in a small town which is actually older than medieval; so here is a selection of local doors and windows:




I like the shape of medieval doors and windows, with those pointed arches of strong religous architecture.  I think the first window image has been caged with metal bars in recent years, and I am not sure about the second door. My favourite is the third door, with its ancient oak and heavy locks and hinges. The stone grey and earthy brown tones add to the centruries old feel.  All taken in my home town of Colchester.

The next few images are all of doors and windows from the last two centuries, which I feel are attractive in different ways. They had something about them which begged me to photograph them.  Some of these are just architecturally attractive, some have industrial purpose, some are slightly hidden or almost camouflaged into their backgrounds.






 Not all windows are nice and pretty.  Not all doors are friendly and welcoming.  We live in a modern world of security, crime, paranoia and decay. I also find this interesting to photograph. There is something about the gritty urban neglect and brutal architecture which I like. I just feel that I want to record it, warts and all!




Not nice at all.  So I thought I'd show a couple of images from my Japan archives, which hopefully lighten the mood.  The first is a huge wooden gate to a five hundred year old temple, and the second is a very typical restaurant sliding door. I love how the Japanese, who do not have front gardens, decorate their entrances with small flowers and plants on the pavement outside. I am also impressed by the fact that these decorations can be left outside overnight, every night, without being stolen or kicked around by drunken youth at night.



I thought I'd finish this post with my favourite window.  The window to my living room, which illuminates my daily life, and sometimes tempts me into sitting and gazing outside for hours.

2 comments:

Dennis Ferrol said...

Wonderful treasures you are presenting here!
The one window with the amazing blue wall...the next one with shade and sunshine..wonderful!
I could go on describing them all...
Thank you for sharing!

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks Dennis. My fave is the blue one too, just because it is simple (and very blue) lol.