Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Tuesday, 4 October 2011

The Lone Figure

Owning the Nikon D80 slowly gave me more power to create the images which I had in mind. Whether it be architectural, cityscape, landscape or just random photography. I started to find myself wandering the streets with my camera, and with my mind constantly thinking about my surroundings and whether they would be worthy images. I have since learnt, after meeting other camera enthusiasts, that this is how the photographers mind works. I am relieved to discover that I am not alone in this slightly obsessive street wandering, hunting images like a poacher.

I also found myself starting to take photographs of people, as I have shown in some of my previous posts. Most of these images are taken from a distance, in a slightly cowardly way. I wasn't confident about aiming my lens at people close up, and have always felt a little unsure about invading people's personal space.

So here I was taking pictures of 'people', whilst walking around city 'streets'. I really had no idea that this was actually a popular genre of photography. It wasn't until I later started diving through Flickr groups and collections, that I discovered that thousands of people actively involve themselves in 'street photography'. I was not alone.

So although I hadn't got close up to people yet, I did begin to collect quite a few images of people from a distance. Looking back on these shots, I discovered that I had either deliberately or subconsciously started taking shots of lone figures in large backgrounds. I find the lone figure an interesting idea, especially in a Japanese city, where it is quite hard to be far from the crowd.

Here are some lone figures... the sort of thing I am trying to convey.

In one image, we have a Japanese businessman stepping out into the quietest road I've ever seen in Tokyo. I like how his immaculate black suit stands out in the pale background of bright summer sunshine.

In another image, we can see a guy standing amongst a forest of signs, signals and information boards; yet he looks lost and confused.   Too much information.


In Osaka, one way to get away from it all, is to go fishing. The Osaka Castle moat is a nice place to give it a try. One of the few quiet places in Osaka.

The lady crossing the field with a parasol was actually taken in my home town of Colchester.

2 comments:

Gerry's Blog said...

Wow Bill, very striking images I know it must have been hard to convey lone images in such vast locations. The guy standing a mist of all the signs is my favorite followed by the guy fishing. ....

Dennis Ferrol said...

All well seen and captured!