Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Monday, 12 December 2011

Brick Lane - Part 1

I have been recently working on a building project near Shoreditch in East London and every so often I need to visit the site. It just so happens that the location of the site is next door to Brick Lane, which is one of those places which has become incredibly trendy over the last decade.

Originally, in the 16th century, Huguenot silk weavers fleeing religious persecution in France made it their home. Later on it became a center for the Jewish rag trade. Then, throughout the last few decades it has been a major center for the Bangladeshi Muslim community. There are countless curry houses, for which the area is now famed for. I noticed that nearly every restaurant seemed to have 'voted best restaurant 2010' or other such posters in their windows...  I guess there is a lot of competition.

In the last ten years or so, the area has evolved again into a trendy clubbing zone, arts and crafts, weekend market area for the usual trendy crowds. Many DJ record stores, vintage clothes shops, bric-a-brac stalls, world food outlets, and general coolness is found there every weekend. There is also a continuously changing street art, ranging from grafitti to sculptures. It really is worth a visit, especially with a camera. I noticed many photographers wandering around with the same idea. While they were mostly using DSLRs and iphone cameras, I worked with my Ricoh GRD3.






I will post some more from Brick Lane in the future...  and a revisit is a must.  Brick lane looks good, smells good and sounds good.

5 comments:

CC said...

Nice GRD3 shots, Bill. I especially like the first and last pics above. Sorry it didn't work our for you to join us yesterday. We missed having you with us on our Brick Lane walk about.

The Voice said...

Great stuff, Bill. I also particularly like the first shot with the mosaic, great texture and tones and subject matter.

Gerry's Blog said...

Great stuff Bill, I like the middle two =) My favorite shots are the ones that people are looking at the photographer ... its engaging. I hope your family gets better soon so you can join us on another photo walk and if you know anyone else that wants to join us please invite them, the more the merrier.

Michael Gatton said...

OK, weird - "The Voice" is me - I signed in accidentally as the advisor of my school's student newspaper :-)

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks again guys. I am starting to enjoy street photography now, as my confidence is going up a little. Although, I am not as brave as you Gerry... I generally capture people unaware, but when they do look into the lens, it is interesting.

Family is all fit again! Look forward to a meetup in new year.