Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Thursday, 8 December 2011

The return of The Lone Figure

Here are another few images of a lone figure, looking small and alone against a much larger background. In my previous posts The Lone Figure  and  More of the Lone Figure  , I tried to explain what this idea is all about.

It's not a big idea really...  I just seem to like these kinds of images. It always amazed me that in Tokyo, the highest populated metropolis in the world, I could still find places in the center of the city that were almost completely isolated, devoid of humanity.  Isolated except for the odd single person (and myself of course).

These were all taken with my Nikon D80, then cropped and processed in photoshop.  The first three shots were in a new business center called Shiodome; which is a bit like London's Canary Wharf at the weekend - Quiet. It is an interesting part of Tokyo architecturally, being quite modern and almost European in style.

These were also all shot with my Sigma 10-20mm lens. The perfect lens for architecture. You can see how lines converge and perspective is warped here, especially as I like to use the extreme limit of this gorgeous fat lens. Sometimes I zoom out too much, I know...  but I don't care.  It's my favourite lens next to my 50mm prime.



I couldn't help but be impressed by the engineering in Tokyo. The elevated train tracks seem to hover above the ground, spanning long distances, and the trains themselves are almost silent and surgically clean inside. But where are all the people?


Finally, this last shot is another typical Kyoto back street, sometime late at night. I was following the guy along trying to get a shot of him without using flash.  He was staggering around after a few too many glasses of sake maybe. The original result was a bit of a mess...  wrong white balance, blurred subject, bad exposure...  but I pushed it through the process mincer and ended up with an image I quite like.  I have obviously stylized the colours in photoshop, together with a little sharpening.  I quite like the blur on the subject in the end as it seems to suit the situation.


4 comments:

Michael Gatton said...

Great structures and spaces you find to photograph, and the perspective in some of the shots is dramatic to say the least. How long do you have to wait before someone walks by - they look so otherwise deserted...

Dennis Ferrol said...

The third picture is awesome!

Gerry's Blog said...

Nice Images Bill.... you have an incredible eye...By the way we missed you on Sunday , I hope the family is feeling better. Let me know when you are up for another photo walk and thanks for suggesting Petticoat lane market it was great to shoot at so was Brick lane.

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks guys.

Mike... about one person every three minutes, or something like that, if I remember correctly. pretty quiet. These spaces felt a little sterile, if you know what I mean. Although, I imagine during the week days they are very busy.

Gerry... Yeah it was a shame I couldn't make the walk. Family first though, I guess. They are getting better, although I still think I got my work cut out this week. lol.

I look forward to seeing some of your weekend shots, if you got some good ones.