Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Sunday, 22 January 2012

London Science Museum

Just at the end of last summer, I visited the Science Museum in London.  As a child, this was always my favourite museum. Over the last thirty years or so, it has changed a lot; a complete building extension and makeover, incredible new interactive displays, and of course a whole lot of new science. Many of the old exhibits are still there, including some excellent large scale engineering displays, which always used to interest me as a wide eyed child.

Science certainly does not interest everyone, but there really is no escaping the fact that our lives are totally dependent on the discoveries of the last two thousand years.  At times, modern science may seem somewhat frightening, especially as it has been partially responsible for creating pollution, weapons, and nuclear accidents; but it may be the only thing that saves us all in the end.  Also, every single object in your house or appartment was created through science at somepoint in history.  Could you live without your books, music, radio, television (probably), shoes, cooker, fridge, mirror, makeup, clothes, windows, lighting......?  Could you survive without food? Farming is a science too.

Anyway...   I strolled around the museum with my Ricoh GRD3 and took a few shots; some in the exhibition halls, some around the staircases and some in the cafe.  I have gone for different crops, and various post proscessing. Each image deserves it's unique attention when deciding how to present them.  I shall definately be returning again with my Ricoh.










6 comments:

Michael Gatton said...

Wow, such great forms and patterns, magnificent look and feel to these images. The cafeteria is amazing too. It looks more like an exhibit, though, than a functioning place to eat...

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks Mike. I love engineering when it holds beauty.. like the aero-combustion engine, and the jet engine. The cafe is almost an art installation in itself. All the tables are lit up from below, which was a great excuse for me to start playing with camera and tableware, while everyone else was just eating sandwiches.

Gerry's Blog said...

Awesome shots Bill... I agree with mike the cafeteria is amazing your black and white are works of art...

ismall said...

Love the 3rd and 4th one. Science Museum was my fave as a child and as an engineer by training I love a bit of geekery.

Cool stuff

Bill Wellham said...

Gerry... thanks as always.

Ismall... thanks very much, and I applaud your engineering geekery! Science museum is an interesting place to take your GRD sometime; it makes a break from shooting people in the street. Of course, Kensington is full of interesting people for afters! LOL

sliceoflondonlife.com said...

I visited the Science Museum in 2010 for the first time since I was a child and was blown away!
Lovely images of engineering. I like the movement in the first one. And I echo Gerry and Michael about the cafeteria shot.