Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Thursday, 26 January 2012

Not quite quick enough

Whilst wandering through the City of London last night, I was half heartedly taking a few shots of people and buildings. I have to admit that my night time photography, without tripod or flash, is hit and miss. With my shutter speeds down, and my ISO right up, I was getting a slight blur on most of my images. There is not always a lamp post or a wall to rest against.

I spotted the chance of what I hoped would be the image of the night. Mixing slow shutter speed for a little traffic blur, and hoping my subject would stand dead still for me, I knealt down and took the shot.

If I had more time to compose and adjust the settings, if it had taken longer for the young lady to cross the road, if I had a regular supply of London buses driving past; then maybe the results would have been perfectly sharp. Instead, the result was slightly blurred; and the moment was then lost.

The shape of the woman's coat, and the iconic background of the bus could have made for a great shot. But after all this said, I am still happy with the result.

4 comments:

Michael Gatton said...

The coat definitely creates a nice form and the blurred bus a nice backdrop. Colors and exposure work nicely as well.

Gerry's Blog said...

I like the shot Bill, but some quick questions did you shoot manual? Did you lighten up the image? if this is out of the camera it seems like the shutter was way too slow... over ride the camera next time by a full stop and you shouldn't worry about the person being out of focus, well hopefully... just a thought

Bill Wellham said...

Gerry, I think it was in aperture mode, but the shutter speed was just too slow. I should have used exposure compensation to give me a quicker but darker result. It did come out to bright and didnt need to be. I get so used to settings in the day time that it all goes a bit wrong for me after dark without tripod. I just need more practice.

Siddhartha Joshi said...

I think its a wonderful shot, esp because of the coat...its flowing lyrically...