Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Saturday, 7 January 2012

The sky went black

Last year, during June and July, we suffered some strange weather in UK.  Even though England is renowned for it's rainy climate; I don't recall a summer as rainy and complicated as this for a long time.  I am not going to suggest global warming is having an effect on our weather, I don't have the proof at hand; but I have to admit that things are getting strange in the skies.

I wanted to take some photographs of some stormy moody clouds, as it was quite topical at the time and I had never really photographed the sky very often. The trouble was that every time the sky was looking like rain, I didn't have my camera at hand; and when I was out looking for clouds with camera at the ready, the sky looked calm and normal.

I started to spend a lot of time staring at the sky last summer.  I noticed so extremely strange cloud formations; complexity and structure on a whole new level. It was as if the weather was going wrong...  breaking down and becoming confused.

One evening, while driving home from London, heading along the A12 at around 70mph; I witness the emergence of hell above me!  The sky was turning black in front of me, through a turmoil of rising thunder clouds across what was previously a calm day's clear sky.  Was this the end of the world?

Just in case this was the end of days, I thought I'd catch a few snaps of the final hours on my GRD3.  I don't recommend photographing clouds while driving along a motorway; this is one of those 'Do Not Try This' things. So, holding the Ricoh at the top of the steering wheel, and keeping my distance from the car in front; I took a few shots.

Here is the result...   hell over the A12.

2 comments:

Michael Gatton said...

That's awesome, and from a moving car at that!

Of course our personal memories are subject to error and bias, but the scientific data are pretty irrefutable at this point.

I'm a little disoriented trying to figure out if you're in the fast lane here, when by all appearances you're going the wrong direction by US highway design norms - you should be going that direction on the other side of the divide :-) The thought of driving in England scares me.

Bill Wellham said...

Agreed about the science... the climate is changing for sure. Its interesting though about personal memories of childhood summers. The summers definately were long, sunny and hot when I was little (or were they really?).

As for the driving on the left in UK, it's the rest of the world that drives on the wrong side of the road (ha ha).

If we ever take a drive into Europe (by using our channel tunnel), we have to get used to swapping over to the right. It is confusing, I will admit.

I wander who made the original decisions about such things?