Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Monday, 9 January 2012

Time Machine

Last week, I finally completed the finishing touches to my lifetime's work. It has been a real strain on my soul; working in my office during the day, but working all night on my scientific research into 'space time matter projection'.  After decades of secret experimentation in my underground laboratory, I finally managed to answer one of the greatest questions posed by mankind.

Is it possible to travel backwards and forwards in time?

Well unfortunately, the answer is no. Which is a shame, because I had a whole list of things to go back and 'correct'; and a whole host of famous places and historical events to witness.   Oh well...

I thought instead, I would mess about with photoshop and see if I could 'add' a little 'time' to some recent photographs; try and use the 'photoshop time machine'. This is just a bit of fun, as I don't particularly approve of such 'retro processing'.  In fact, even the word 'sepia' makes me frown. But I like to try new things sometimes (or in this case - old things).  Most of these images have gone through several processes to add ageing effect. Some are better than others.  I think that the subject matter is important; I have tried to use images which have hardly any modern signs (although there are a few).  I tried to look at real old photographs to see how they age. Just using a sepia filter on it's own is not enough. I was going to add borders to the series; but I hate post processed borders!

Here are some images of Japan using my photoshop time machine. I tried some of London but they just didnt seem quite as antique looking to me. Maybe that is just because I know London too well.  On the other hand, my wife wasn't so impressed with my 'old Japan' fakes...   She knows Japan too well.

There are a few modern clues in some of these shots. There are some spot lights here and there, some modern hair styles and clothes, far too much over head cabling on one of them; but my favourite anachronism is the 'visa & mastercard' sign on the last image.




 

5 comments:

Gerry's Blog said...

Hey Bill, love what you did with the images, and I hope everyone can appreciate the amount of work and time you put into these images. Would you show the before and after to some of the images? They are amazing ...

Bill Wellham said...

Cheers Gerry. It was just an excercise really. It was quite easy to do, and didn't take too much time. I tried different tones of brown on each one, and had varying vignettes (some darkening and others lightening). I am not sure about the added grain and noise though. I think that looks slightly artificial.

I will add some of the originals, eventually.

Michael Gatton said...

Nice work, Bill. I think the shots with people are the hardest to fake, between the clothing and the hairstyles and the expressions, they just look a little anachronistic. But that might be an interesting test too, to place real old and fake old side by side to see if this is simply bias on my part :-)

Bill Wellham said...

You raise a very good point Mike. Apart from the hair styles (which always are a give away), people in vintage photographs always seem to look so formal, and very rarely have natural smiles. Maybe this was because they were asked to stand very still for a few seconds in early plate photography. I will add some real vintage Japanese images.

sliceoflondonlife.com said...

Nice treatments. Who would have known you were around in the 19th century?!:)