Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Thursday, 26 April 2012

London - Shooting at Night - part 3

Following on from some recent posts, here are a few more images taken after dark around the City of London. I have taken all these with my Ricoh GRD3 using various styles of photogtraphy.  I don't like the idea of having a particular style. In fact, most of my images are just a hotch potch of different styles, as if they were all taken by different photographers.  I don't know if that's a good thing or not.


This was an easy shot. I held the cametra steady on the top of the central handrail, took a few test shots while no one was around; then snapped this guy with the headphones as he approached. This is one of those images where I have tried to capture the modern mix of London City architecture, while using a member of public to add substance to the overall effect.  I think the amount of movement in the walking motion is just right.  I did take a few shots, with other people walking up and down, but this guy seemed to really suit the city worker subject.



These two guys formed a nice sillhoutte outside Farringdon station. I prefered the colour version of this image, especially the blue stripe against all the other brown tones; although I have desaturated the colours slightly.  This was a hand held shot with a slowish shutter speed which really needed a tripod, but I think I just about got away with it.  Tripods remove any chance of spontaneity in photography.



I love the city cyclists around London. They are everywhere at all hours of the day, taking on the buses, taxis and cars of the capital's roads. Smart and brave! Here's a typical scenario of three cyclists waiting for the green light at this junction.  (They don't usually wait for the green to go).  I think I have a glimpse of eye contact with the nearest guy.  It's a modern scene deserving of colour.  It just didn't work in black and white.



Getting close with my Ricoh; possibly invading personal space. I've definitely got the eye contact here. I was a little unsure what he was about to say after I took his shot. But he didn't react, and just crossed the road.  I really liked how the shadow worked in this image.

I still prefer day time photography though...  It's far easier!

3 comments:

s.c said...

I like the first and the last picture the most. You really took the photo,s within the personal space of the persons photographed. That is difficult to do but gives an exiting result for shure.

Dennis Ferrol said...

Excellent photos!
Well done!

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks Guys. Your comments always appreciated.