Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Monthly Favourite - Seaside Shelter

I have forgotten to post a monthly favourite this month; so I thought I should squeeze it in before June.

This is an image of a seaside shelter at the seaside town of Deal in Kent.  It seems to be quite art deco in style; whether it was buit in the 20s to 30s, I am not sure.  I took this shot on a cold and windy day when the town was half closed and mostly deserted.  There is something about these small seaside towns which I like. Many of them struggle to compete with the famous towns like Hastings, Brighton & Blackpool etc; relying solely on summer visitors. They almost seem bipolar in their status; welcoming and bustling in the summers with all the usual family fun filled entertainment, and isolated and wind-blown ghost towns in the winter.  I actually like both sides of the story in terms of photographic opportunities.  I took this photo with an old Nikon Coolpix with very limited capabilties, but with a little post processing I was happy with the final image.


Deal does have a charm of it's own, with a pleasent old town centre and attractive seafront.  It also has a very impressive maritime history with a fantastic castle. It is quite close to Dover and the magnificent white cliffe coast.

No comments: