Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Osaka #3

Osaka.    I've posted about Osaka several times now; always as an excuse to lay down some more of my old images from my times there.  "Why Osaka?", I hear you all ask...  "What about Tokyo?", I hear you add...   The reason for my emphasis on Osaka is down to the fact that it was my wife's home town (a suburb of Osaka named Nishiosaka). Before we settled in UK, I was flying back and forth to Osaka several times a year. So, of course I know Tokyo (possibly one of the greatest cities on the planet), and I love Kyoto (for all its Japanese old world charm and calm); but it is Osaka where my camera worked the hardest.  Gritty, noisy, bustling, funny, foody, industrial, exciting, modern and diverse, sometimes dodgy Osaka.

Previous posts Osaka #1 and Osaka #2 were themed around the little back streets. Todays post is going to present some of the more interesting and sometimes strange architecture.

The first two images, both clad in shades of terracotta, caught my eye for the obvious reason that they seem to be covered in plant pots. The first with a healthy range of shrubs and trees; the second displaying a more minimal display of carefully aranged branches. This reminds me of a building which has been posted by a fellow blogger S.C Collections from Netherlands, where there also seems to be a trend for plant pot buildings.





Tower blocks all tend to taper away with natural perspective when you walk around at street level and point up to shoot. Here are some examples of some interesting towers in Osaka, with a sprinkling of perspective.  I always seem to vertically straighten the left hand side of a building when I take the shot, allowing the right hand side to angle away.  This has never been a conscious decision; my brain just seems to do this on its own.



Yes.  That elevated road DOES go straight through that office building.


4 comments:

Michael Gatton said...

Excellent set, Bill. Very interesting subjects well shot. What's particularly interesting about the first one is how the plants appear to be on the scale of typical house plants - like someone made a miniature building and decorated it with houseplants.

s.c said...

Great shots Bill. About the pots on the facade the ultimate one is made by Edouard Francois in Paris. The whole 4 facades exist of 380 pots planted with bamboo. You can find some pictures on http://inhabitat.com/flower-tower-380-potted-plants-line-parisian-apartment-facade/. The guy made some other very unusual facades. Especially the apartment building in Montpellier is a beauty and I once organized an excursion to that building with the whole office to look.

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks Mike. The first one is definitely the stranger and bolder of the designs. and I agree those plants do seem to play tricks with the scale of the building.

Thanks S.C. I have just looked at that link to the Flower Pot 380 building. Amazing stuff. Looks like quite a desirable place to live too. Its interesting what 'introducing nature into architecture' can do.

George McKay said...

Perhaps Osaka might be a place where architects strive to differentiate their designs from others in order to stand out. That may be true in most cities, but your photos show a really diverse collection of styles.