Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Saturday, 10 November 2012

Playing with light

I have seen many amazing 'light painting' images on Flickr. There are people out there who can create some of the most incredible images using simple lights, torches, glow sticks etc.

Take a look at this:  Flickr - Light in Motion   and there are many other similar groups and websites.

I am a member of a weekly camera club; and every now and then we try something a bit different.  So last week a guy showed us a few simple tricks and helped us create a few images painted with light.

These are my simple attempts:

1) Take a kitchen whisk (one of those simple hand-held wire loop ones).
2) Stick a ball of wire wool into the end of the whisk.
3) Tie the whisk to a piece of string.
4) Set fire to the wire wool.
5) Get someone to swing it around and around themselves. (like an irresponsible windmill)
6) Take pictures of it.  F11 - ISO 100 - 15 sec


 Similar steps as above, except this time let the fire spinning fool walk from side to side while shutter is open.


On this image, we attached some electro luminescent glow strings to a person's legs and arms. This person then proceeded to walk along in front of the other fire spinner.  I tracked him as he walked by turning the camera slowly on the tripod.  This gives him that kind of Tron style glow.



We had a fun evening.  Several adults with cameras, behaving quite irresponsibly with fire.






8 comments:

s.c said...

Great experimenting Bill. The nicest thing I find is that you get so many colors. But can you make more of it or will it stay by this try. By the way I like the second picture the most.

Michael Gatton said...

What fun! Brilliant colors and cool patterns.

Mr. S. said...

perfect :-)
Beautiful pictures, thank you for sharing.

sliceoflondonlife.com said...

Great photos. Some great colours. I'm sure it's not good for the whisk though!

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks all.

S.C. I think I would like to do some more experimenting in the future. I have a few more ideas in my head.

As for the whisk... it could do with a clean first. :)

ismall said...

Last one is my fave.

A friend and I went to a light painting workshop near the London Eye a few months ago- it was pretty fun.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.