I have seen many amazing 'light painting' images on Flickr. There are people out there who can create some of the most incredible images using simple lights, torches, glow sticks etc.
Take a look at this: Flickr - Light in Motion and there are many other similar groups and websites.
I am a member of a weekly camera club; and every now and then we try something a bit different. So last week a guy showed us a few simple tricks and helped us create a few images painted with light.
These are my simple attempts:
1) Take a kitchen whisk (one of those simple hand-held wire loop ones).
2) Stick a ball of wire wool into the end of the whisk.
3) Tie the whisk to a piece of string.
4) Set fire to the wire wool.
5) Get someone to swing it around and around themselves. (like an irresponsible windmill)
6) Take pictures of it. F11 - ISO 100 - 15 sec
Similar steps as above, except this time let the fire spinning fool walk from side to side while shutter is open.
On this image, we attached some electro luminescent glow strings to a person's legs and arms. This person then proceeded to walk along in front of the other fire spinner. I tracked him as he walked by turning the camera slowly on the tripod. This gives him that kind of Tron style glow.
We had a fun evening. Several adults with cameras, behaving quite irresponsibly with fire.