Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

London People - part 1


It's been a while since my last post. Life has been so busy lately and priorities seem to take control, squeezing my hobbies into an increasingly smaller time and space. I have taken so few pictures lately that my camera battery has not even needed a recharge since last year.

I do have a small back up of images taken from late last year, which have not reached my blog as yet.  So over the next few blogs I shall post these images in small groups; although they may not present themselves with any particular theme or idea.

These are just images which I have been pleased with.  They were all taken with my Ricoh GRD3, which still serves me well. I did not upgrade to the somewhat superior GRD4; and will probably hang out for the hopeful release of a possible GRD5!

So here goes:

This first image was taken in an area of East London mostly consisting of poor social housing estates inhabited by peoples of many cultures and colours. Amongst these deprived areas, developers still manage to build new modern blocks of private apartments, aimed at the healthy wealthy who like to live a short train connection to the financial centres of London.  It is clear to see the poverty gap as you walk around East London.  The image below is of a local Asian woman as she walks between the zone of rich and poor. I liked this image because of the strong contrast between her clothing and the pure whiteness of the architecture.



I am always pleased to capture a picture of a person reading. With the world rapidly changing and everything slowly becoming electronically and digitally published and accessed, I sometimes worry that printed media will struggle to survive. I have a smart phone like most people nowadays, and I am an avid computer user too; but I do still buy books and newspapers, and I enjoy the art of the advertisment posters we are surrounded by. For me there is something more to reading than just the information gained.  The process of turning a page and holding paper in itself seems relaxing and rewarding.  I do not look forward to a world of people staring into small illuminated rectangles of glass. It is just a matter of a few decades before the media streams adverts and magazines directly into the brain.  Mark my words!




This lady caught my eye; reading her smart phone as she crosses the street (doh), with a string of party balloons floating away behind her. She just doesn't look happy enough considering all the happy helium and promise of fun ahead.  It's the phone, see?  They don't make people happy. They take away the freedom to think inside the head without multimedia assistance.




Who needs a smart phone when you have a great big cigarette on the go? Well at least she is checking the traffic before she crosses the road.  Free thinker with a touch of style.






3 comments:

Mr. S. said...

Then a late: Good new year ;-)
I took the GRD III a few weeks ago to spend the GRD IV a little break and I must say it is still a perfect camera. I love taking pictures with it and I never will sell it. At home both cameras are standing side by side, so its a morning decision which camera comes along with me. ;-)

s.c said...

Nice to see some pictures from you again Bill. Like the pictures of big city folk and the crispiness of the B&W shots. By the color shot that is gone. Of course that could also be part of using silver efex pro in the computer but it stand out for me.

Michael Gatton said...

Nice, Bill. Definitely got your signature on them. I particularly like the first one, with the hi-rise sorta standing alone against the sky and the lone figure paralleling that structure.