Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Friday, 1 February 2013

Local People - part 6

Here's a bunch of images taken late last year from my home town of Colchester.  Every High Street in every town in England is a great landscape of photo oportunities. For sure, London has some very cool and trendy locations, full of uber-cool folk; but your 'every-town' is full of real people going about their daily business.  It is easy to overlook your own local area when people shooting. I think it pays to take a stroll around and see who you can capture.

This first shot features two men pushing their wives (assumption) along in wheel chairs. I can see grim determination on their faces. Life can be tough as we get older. Old folk can always do with some respect and help.


Not quite so old, keeping warm with a hot drink. I like this guy's expression and somewhat tough looking features. To be honest, I'm glad he didn't catch me taking his photo.



Towards the 'boutique' and quainter end of Colchester, I spotted this well dressed older lady. Check out her cool hat and stylish mirrored shades. I hope I can still carry a touch of style when I reach her age. This image definitely needed to be processed in colour.



This old fella looks a little worried and weather worn. Looks like he's got the worries of the whole world above him, weighing him down.  I was tempted to crop some of that sky and back ground out; but finally decided that they add to the overall effect.  This was my favourite image of the day.


4 comments:

s.c said...

Great shots Bill especially the last B&W. The sky gives it a kind of threatening look as does the guy. Also the passing of the two duo's in the wheelchairs as ships in the night. Great one's

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks S.C. Kind comments.

Old 57 said...

I love your writing. The story supplement the strong photographs. Whish I could write as well, but English is not my native tongue.

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks 57! I'm glad you enjoy the words as much as the pictures. I enjoy writing them :)