Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Southend-on-Sea - Out of season

I took these images at Southend-on-Sea, a seaside town in Essex.  I don't particularly like English seaside towns; they are really quite tacky and noisy. In the summer months they are full of families, all trying to enjoy a low cost day out; which ususally consists of bad food (chips and burgers), drinking cheap beer, walking around and wasting money in amusement arcades.  I admit that I spent a lot of time in those amusement arcades as a kid.


If you visit these places ouside the summer season, they can seem quite desolate and empty. Here are a couple of arcades, still open and hopeful of luring in some unlucky lonely pursuers of coin operated fun. But they are virtually empty.



Ahh...  here's a skillful operator of a claw game, trying for that white teddy bear in the glass cabinet of soft toys.  How many coins will he spend?



In another claw game, this is what you could win...   Woody from Toy Story!   I remember a scene from one of the Toy Story movies, where a 'claw' game is full of green aliens.  



In the cold and the wind, a couple of friends enjoy the amazing spectacle of the pavement fountain. I apologise for my use of black and white; but I can assure you that the fountain changes colour, from pink to green and white. Southend should be proud of this wonder of the modern world.


I have to finish this series with a view of Southend Adventure Island.   It doesn't look scary at all...



3 comments:

s.c said...

The british seaside resorts have given us some of the most impressive pictures. Of course Martin Parr is well known for it but it are also the special circumstances and atmosphere that made the shots. You did a nice try also to capture some of that special feeling. I like it Bill.

Michael Gatton said...

We have our share of tacky vacation beach towns that attract large numbers of families, I have fond memories of them as a child as well but they really are for the young (at heart). We also have a lot of cozy little villages and towns that are not tourist-based economies that are quite nice, as I'm sure there are in England as well. Anyway, I love the b&w of the fountain especially.

ismall said...

I know what you mean re seaside resorts. I'm not a big fan of them either but something very English about them.

I've not been looking at blogs much as been so busy but like the first shot v much- there is something about neon signs that I like.

Interesting to see that the last few posts have been out of your usual comfort zone. It's a good thing- keeps you fresh for when you return to what usually interests you.