Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Saturday, 10 May 2014

The quiet life of the village


Once again, I have come back from a long busy period of work and other annoying excuses keeping me from blogging.  Well I have not given up yet; even though sometimes the enthusiasm for blogging is hard to find.  I will carry on!  I will...  I will...    (just got to get back into a blog rhythm)

Every so often, my weekends involve visiting or driving through one of the countless small villages of England. Although I live in a reasonable size town (Colchester's population is c176000); the town is surrounded by lots of these small villages, which are all unique in their own way but all have a similar sense of English quaintness.

The following images have been taken using various cameras in several different locations. Actually, I have forgotten where some of these were taken!  Even so, you can get a feel of that quiet feeling of a rural bygone era. These are all far removed from my usual crop of city life and modern imagary; but deep down I really enjoy wandering around these English time capsules. It really does feel like the rest of the world has left them behind; but people do live, eat and work here. They still have an importance as part of the fabric of my country (and countryside). Long live the village!







4 comments:

s.c said...

Hello Bill nice to see you back again. Hope to see more from you in the nearby future.

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks S.C. I will try my best :)

Michael Gatton said...

Nice to see you back, Bill, sporadic or otherwise. Nice images also, they have a lovely quiet quality about them. One should really click on the cafe shot to see the woman in the cafe giving you that look.

Bill Wellham said...

Thanks Mike. I have still been taking lots of photos over the last few months, so I do have loads of new things to blog about.