Using a Ricoh GRD III and a Nikon DSLR to photograph streets, people, architecture and anything else that catches my eye.

Sunday, 9 November 2014

From the hip


Here's some shots all with one thing in common...   They're all 'from the hip'. It's interesting how an everyday person about town can become quite imposing and larger than life, when the image taken from a lower angle.  The first two are both taken from around 2 metres, and I still don't really like to hold a camera in someones face as they walk by; so shooting from a lower angle is a good way to not draw attention to your actions. The results can be quite effective.




5 comments:

s.c said...

Great effect Bill but when I try this my camera is always under an angle of 10 or 15 degrees and when I put it right in postprocessing to much is cut off. I think its trying, trying, trying, until you have got it. I also must say that sometimes the angle gives it a kind of speed and hazard that I like.

Bill Wellham said...

I know exactly what you mean S.C. and I have to admit that half of my hip shots are misses! Sometimes a little luck is needed.

Michael Gatton said...

An interesting almost voyeuristic perspective, something a little sinister about them. First guy is very nicely composed.

sliceoflondonlife.com said...

I particularly like the first one. It's a great angle and makes him look quite powerful. I agree with Michael that it's nicely composed. Getting nicely composed images from the hip is no easy task!

Nicola Albon said...

That comment above is me - I thought it would automatically put my name in if I used my wordpress ID.